Not every family is going to homeschool or unschool. But there are plenty of ideas to add some authenticity and self-directed learning to any student's experience.
- Create portfolios of children's deepest interests and accomplishments over the years to augment any transcripts. (#unrules46)
- Increase your children's time spent with adult experts who are passionate about what they do. (#unrules44) Be out of site, but do this without "dropping off" your children and transferring responsibility at least initially.
- Take your children on short family trips, even if it upsets the schools. (#unrules36)
- Include meaningful work into every week. Don't let the abundance of papers due and tests get in the way of helping your children actually help other people. (#unrules13)
- Encourage play in areas of interest (#unrules26). Allow children to pursue passions, even when it gets in the way of doing homework. Be prepared to fudge a sick day for both parent and child to indulge areas of deep passion (#unrules37).